How would you describe your perfect weather? For me, it an overcast and quiet day. Sitting on my bed, covered in soft blankets, and listening to the rainfall. Windows open, I would feel the cool air travel into the apartment, prompting me to wear fuzzy socks to stay warm. Sipping on hot green tea with lemon and honey, while surrounding by fragrant burning candles as I read one of my favorite books. My husband finds me odd that this kind of day is my favorite, but still loves to snuggle with me on these days anyways. He and I both grew up in California where the "perfect" day meant a cloudless and sunny day. And while I do love sunny days, there is just something about overcast days that I love more. It is because of hygge. The Danish term that you will find in my blog name, has transformed my way of thinking and living. Read more about hygge HERE. Overcast days are not dreary in my mind, but rather a time to slow down, spend time with your thoughts, and be content with the present.
Today, on an overcast Monday morning, after a home workout of core yoga I made these gluten free chai protein pancakes. These pancakes are not only a delicious treat, but they are healthy too! The base is oat flour, which can easily be made by blending regular oats. Since using alternative flour to create a gluten free pancake, these pancakes will not rise as much as normal pancakes made with regular flour. The pancakes are flavored with chai powder, cinnamon, and vanilla. Our protein powder is vanilla flavored, but any protein powder will do. The liquid base consists of almond milk, coconut oil, and greek yogurt. If you don't have almond milk, you can substitute in a different milk, and you can also use a flavored Greek yogurt if you don't have plain Greek yogurt - just be mindful that it will affect the overall flavor!
GLUTEN FREE CHAI PROTEIN PANCAKES
Makes 6 five inch pancakes
Total time: 25 minutes
1. Whisk together in a medium sized bowl:
1 1/2 cups oat flour
2 Tablespoons chai powder
1 Tablespoon protein powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2. In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients:
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquid
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla
(Hint: Since coconut oil solidifies below 75 degrees F, you may need to microwave the combined liquid ingredients until smooth).
3. Gently combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and whisk together until there are no more lumps.
4. Spray a nonstick griddle pan, and place over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, use a ladle to pour the pancakes, starting low near the pan and bringing the ladle higher, away from the pan, as you pour. These technique will help create perfect round pancakes. Once the pancakes begin to form bubbles on the surface and the edges are cooked, flip the pancakes.
5. Serve warm. Top with blueberries and maple syrup.